Bhuj Mandir

Bhuj Mandir

Senior devotees Gangarambhai, Sundarjibhai and others from the Bhuj went to Gadhada where Lord Shree Swaminarayan was attending the famous fuldol festival. During the festival devotees from Bhuj met Lord Swaminarayan and requested him to construct a temple in Bhuj.

The Lord was pleased and more than happy to fulfil the wishes of His devotees. So Lord Shree Swaminarayan asked Vaishnavananand Swami to proceed with a team of saints to Bhuj and construct a temple. Vaishnavananand Swami and the accompanying saints went to Bhuj in 1822 and drew up plans for the original Bhuj temple. They executed the plans with every minute detail taken into account and within a short span of one year, on 15th May 1823, the Murti’s were installed by Lord Shree Swaminarayan.

Lord Shree Swaminarayan had graced this temple in the western belt of India and had Himself installed the idols of Narnarayan Dev on 15 May 1823 (VS 1879 Vaisakh sud 5) and later Acharya Shree Ayodhyaprasadji Maharaje installed Hari-Krishna Maharaj on 06 March 1867 (VS 1923 Fagan sud 2).

Besides these, manifestations of the Lord at the central dome, under the eastern dome were seated Radha-Krishna Dev, Hari-Krishna Maharaj and under the western dome Ghanshyam Maharaj. Roop Chowki, the main square of the inner temple housed the images of Ganapati bapa and Hanumanji.

Bhuj Earthquake – The Divine Vision
The Gujarat Earthquake of January 2001 destroyed much of the city of Bhuj, including the side of the temple facing north which was built by Lord Shree Swaminarayan. Miraculously the divine idols remained as they were, without any damage whatsoever.

However after a mutual agreement between Acharya Maharajshree, Saints and the devotees from all corners of the globe and given the circumstances of the irreparable damage to the original temple building, it was decided that the idols would be housed inside a new grand temple. It was collaboratively resolved to construct this new temple a short distance away from the original site.

Music